How often should I have my heating equipment cleaned?
Natural Resources Canada suggests that you should have your heating system checked and cleaned by a professional once a year.
Why should I have regular maintenance on my heating system?
An annual check-up keeps your equipment working at optimal energy efficiency and helps avoid costly repairs. Our technicians are trained to maintain your heating equipment. Our annual heating system check-up includes a safety check, cleaning, and tune-u
What methods of payment do you accept?
We accept credit card, electronic check, paper check, and cash.
How can I pay my bill?
To make bill paying convenient, we offer a number of payment options:
- You can set up automatic electronic funds transfer from your bank account by calling 1-800-810-9289 and speaking to one of our customer service reps.
- You can also call us at 1-800-810-9289 and pay with a credit card or set up an automatic credit card deduction.
- We also accept payments by check through the mail or in person.
Can I get my Highland Propane statements and invoices emailed to me?
Yes, we can email invoices and statements to you. It is a quick and easy way to receive your billing and reduces paper, helping our environment in the process. If you’d like to get set up, please call us at 1-800-810-9289.
How can I set up an account?
Just call 1-800-810-9289 and one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service reps will help set you up.
HANDLING A PROPANE EMERGENCY
Your safety is our first priority. Propane is a safe and reliable fuel, but like many other fuels, it is highly flammable. That means it can be dangerous if not handled properly. Remember, in order to protect you, your family and others, you must be aware of – and respect – the normal, everyday hazards around you. Propane is no exception.
Please contact us if you:
- Start noticing a propane smell
- Have suspicions of a leak in your system
- Need to have a propane appliance connected or disconnected
- Decide to move or if you have a change in tenant status
- Purchase a new propane appliance or need to replace an existing one
- Have plans for an outdoor project that requires digging
- Experience life changes such as having a new baby or having children move out
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOW THESE STEPS IF YOU NOTICE A PROPANE SMELL
- NO FLAMES OR SPARKS Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, electrical switches, telephones, or cellphones.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect a leak.
- SHUT OFF THE GAS Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK Go to a neighbour’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak and then call us right away. If you can’t reach us, please call 911 or your local fire department.
- DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA Wait until a professional determines that it is safe to go back inside or return to the area.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak free.
GENERAL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Here are some general safety procedures to follow when using your
- Be alert for the odour of propane when around a gas appliance or container.
- If you smell gas, do not try to light the appliance. Call your propane supplier.
- Read and follow the operating and lighting instructions as well as the warning labels provided by the appliance manufacturer.
- The pilot has a safety device. If you have trouble keeping it lit, this device is warning you about a problem. Call a service technician for assistance.
- Never force any appliance control. If you cannot operate the knobs, switches, or buttons by hand, please call your supplier. You should never tamper with the controls.
ADDITIONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Keep combustibles, such as curtains, paper, cleaning fluids, etc., away from any energy source. This includes gas and electric appliances where they may cause a fire.
- Ensure that you have a fire extinguisher readily available. Make sure it’s charged and that you, your family, and/or your employees know how to use it.
- Remember that gas appliances, like humans, need oxygen (air) to function properly.
- If you smell gas near your tank or cylinder, please call your propane supplier.
- Use only listed propane appliances. Look for the seal from a nationally recognized independent testing laboratory.
- Use gas grills outdoors only.
- Use or store propane cylinders outdoors only
We’ve provided the answers to questions people often ask us. If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for below, then please don’t hesitate to email us or give one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service reps a call.
How does automatic delivery work? How do you know when to deliver my fuel?
By using sophisticated computer software, we’ll predict when you’ll need your propane and get it to you before that date. Our program takes into account things like how big your home or building is, what your usage rate is, and the temperature outside. It is constantly re-calculating delivery dates for our customers. If the weather gets colder, a delivery date will move up on the calendar. Also, with each customer’s delivery, the software gains new information to further improve its ability to predict. Everything continues to become more accurate over time.
Why should I consider automatic delivery?
With automatic delivery, we monitor your usage and book deliveries as you need them. You don’t need to worry about constantly checking your tank and remembering when to call for a delivery. Simply put, life is just too busy these days, and we make things more convenient by taking care of that for you.
Is there a minimum delivery amount for customers that call for deliveries?
Our minimum delivery is 380L of propane.
How quickly can you deliver?
If you’re running on empty, we want to get you propane as soon as possible. If that is the case, you should immediately call us at 1-800-810-9289. If you call us and our out of propane we will dispatch a truck as soon as possible, however the delivery may take up to 5 business days depending on already scheduled deliveries.
Call to confirm delivery in more remote markets.
Is there a special delivery charge if I need an emergency delivery?
If you call for delivery and are not one of our automatic delivery customers and need a delivery that requires our trucks to go off the scheduled route, there is a special delivery fee of $250. If you are on automatic delivery there is no fee for normal deliveries.
If I have a second home how do I make sure my home is always heated?
If your home is not your primary residence, we strongly advise you to take all precautions necessary to protect your investment. Properly installed alarm systems will let you know when an equipment malfunction puts your home at risk.